Home-based Program Option
Services to Pregnant Mothers and children up to 3yrs old
Early Head Start Home-Based Program Option understands that parents are also teachers of their children. Our Early Head Start Home Visitors support parents by helping them become the best teachers they can be.
This program option provides parent and child education, support for families, and many opportunities to ensure that children are ready for school. Staff members help parents create goals for their children and for their families; connect with community resources, and build upon their position as the most important educational resource in their children’s lives. Below you will find an activity for you to engage with your unborn child.
Prenatal Play: Placing Hands
How do we do it?
- Your baby is a moving little person. You will feel her when she grows enough to bump into the uterine wall. She is bending, stretching, and kicking.
- Place a small amount of oil or hand lotion in your hands and rub your hands against each other. Gently rub your belly in circles and long strokes.
- If it is comfortable for you, encourage a family member to place hands on your belly. When you feels movements, encourage him or her to rub your belly and talk to the baby.
- Your baby can feel you too. If you have left movement, place your hands there. What do you notice? Does she stop? Massage your belly. Say, “Hello, baby, are you exercising? I can feel you, too.”
Safety and health tip
- Remember to keep toxic chemicals and heavy metals out of your environment. Toxins like pesticides, cigarette smoke, and mercury can interfere with the development of your baby’s body and brain.
Taking care of you
- It is natural to feel stressed during pregnancy. Notice how your body responds to stress. If you are feeling tense, ask a family member to give you -and the baby- a massage.
For more information about our Home-based Program Option and Services to Pregnant Mothers and children up to 3yrs old, please contact
Home-based Assistant Manager
Head Start Birth to 5
Matrix Human Services